VEGAN Butternut Squash Soup with Pine Nuts & Sage
10 Brilliant Butternut Squash Recipes
Don't let its pale exterior fool you: Butternut squash is dressed for the season with vivid orange flesh, thanks to beta-carotene. To get the most nutrition out of its cancer-fighting antioxidants, serve butternut squash with a little heart-healthy fat (such as olive oil). Choose heavy, firm, stem-on squash without soft spots; store them someplace cool and dry and they'll keep for several weeks. Or buy this veggie peeled and cubed to save time and effort.
Now let's get cooking with these butternut squash recipes!
MORE:5 Fast Pumpkin Recipes
PREP TIME: 14 minutes /TOTAL TIME: 1 hour, 10 minutes / SERVINGS:4
2 lb butternut squash
1 lb Granny Smith apples
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 onions, chopped
4 tsp garlic, chopped
2 c reduced-sodium chicken broth
Maple syrup (optional)
1. HEAToven to 400°F.
2. HALVEthe butternut squash and remove seeds.
3. PEELand core the apples and cut into wedges.
4. PUTsquash and apples cut side down on large baking sheet lined with nonstick foil. Roast, turning apples, until squash is tender and apples are golden brown, 25 min for apples and 45 min for squash.
5. HEAT1 tablespoon olive oil in pot over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook 6 min.
6. ADDthe chicken broth. Bring to a simmer.
7. SCOOPhalf of squash into blender with half of apples and half of broth mixture. Puree until smooth. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
8. SEASONsoup to taste. Serve in bowls, topped with fresh apple slices and a drizzle of maple syrup.
NUTRITION(per serving) 195 cal, 4 g pro, 43 g carb, 7 g fiber, 3.5 g fat, 0.5 g sat fat, 236 mg sodium
MORE:20 Satisfying Soups And Stews
PREP TIME: 5 minutes /TOTAL TIME: 1 hour / SERVINGS:6
1½ lb peeled and sliced butternut squash
½ c + 2 Tbsp grated Gruyère, divided
½ c half-and-half
2½ tsp chopped rosemary
¾ c whole wheat bread crumbs
1. HEAToven to 375°F.
2. LAYERthe squash with ½ cup grated Gruyère in oiled shallow 2 qt dish.
3. ADDthe half-and-half and chopped rosemary.
4. TOPwith the bread crumbs and remaining 2 tablespoons grated Gruyère.
5. BAKEuntil tender and golden, about 45 min.
NUTRITION(per serving) 141 cal, 6 g pro, 17 g carb, 3 g fiber, 6.5 g fat, 3.5 g sat fat, 84 mg sodium
MORE:6 Comforting Casseroles You Can Feel Good About Eating
PREP TIME: 5 minutes /TOTAL TIME: 45 minutes / SERVINGS:8
8 c prepackaged cubed (1") butternut squash (about 4 lb peeled, seeded, and cubed)
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp kosher salt
½ tsp ground allspice
½ tsp ground coriander
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1. PREHEAT oven to 425°F.
2. TOSS squash with oil in large bowl. In small bowl, combine cumin, salt, allspice, coriander, and pepper. Sprinkle squash with spices and toss well to evenly coat.
3. SPREAD squash in single layer on 2 baking sheets or pans and roast 40 minutes, turning every 10 minutes.
NUTRITION (per serving)139 cal, 2 g pro, 28 g carb, 3.5 g fat, 0.5 g sat fat, 0 mg chol, 5 g fiber, 250 mg sodium
MORE:13 Fantastic Vegetarian Recipes
PREP TIME:8 minutes /TOTAL TIME:15 minutes / SERVINGS: 4 (5 cups total)
4 c Roasted Butternut Squash
3 c low-sodium chicken broth
¼ c whole milk
½ tsp ground cumin
Pinch freshly ground nutmeg
Dash hot-pepper sauce
¼ tsp kosher salt
⅛ tsp freshly ground black pepper
6 oz cooked lump crabmeat
1. COMBINEsquash, broth, milk, cumin, nutmeg, and hot-pepper sauce in blender (or use an immersion blender) and puree. Transfer to medium saucepan.
2. HEATover medium heat 7 minutes and season with salt and pepper. If soup is too thick, add additional broth to reach desired consistency. Divide among 4 bowls and top each with 1½ ounces of crabmeat.
NUTRITION (per serving) 222 cal, 15 g pro, 31 g carb, 6 g fat, 1 g sat fat, 44 mg chol, 5 g fiber, 551 mg sodium
MORE:5 Fresh Ideas For Seafood
PREP TIME:15 minutes /TOTAL TIME: 1 hour / SERVINGS: 8
1½ Tbsp olive oil
1 lg red onion, finely chopped (1 c)
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp kosher salt, divided
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper, divided
2 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 c Arborio rice
4½ c low-sodium chicken broth, divided
4 c Roasted Butternut Squash
1 oz soft goat cheese
¼ c unsalted, dry-roasted, shelled, chopped pistachios
¼ c fresh mint, thinly sliced
1. HEAToil in large pan over medium heat and sauté onion 10 minutes until soft. Sprinkle with sugar, ½ teaspoon of the salt, and ¼ teaspoon of the pepper and sauté 3 minutes longer until browned. Add water and vinegar to pan and sauté until all liquid has evaporated, about 2 to 3 minutes.
2. STIRin rice and cook 2 minutes. Add 1 cup of the broth and stir constantly until broth is absorbed, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in squash and 2½ cups broth and bring to a vigorous simmer, about 5 to 7 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Stir in remaining 1 cup broth and cook until rice is soft, about 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in cheese until melted, 1 minute longer.
3. REMOVEfrom heat, mound onto serving plates, and sprinkle pistachios and mint over top.
NUTRITION (per serving) 241 cal, 7 g pro, 39 g carb, 7.5 g fat, 1.5 g sat fat, 4 mg chol, 4 g fiber, 459 mg sodium
MORE:20 Classic Fall Recipes You'll Love
PREP TIME:10 minutes /TOTAL TIME:45 minutes /SERVINGS:4
8 oz whole wheat rotini
½ c fat-free milk
6 oz frozen packaged butternut squash
1 c shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp dry mustard
Pepper to taste 1 Tbsp parmesan, freshly shredded
1 Tbsp bread crumbs
1. PREPARE8 oz whole wheat rotini according to package directions.
2. SIMMERthe milk with the squash in medium saucepan until combined.
3. REMOVEfrom heat and mix with the cheese, salt, mustard, and pepper to taste.
4. POURdrained pasta into 8" x 8" baking dish, stir in cheese mixture, and top with Parmesan and bread crumbs. Bake at 375°F for 20 minutes.
NUTRITION(per serving) 304 cal, 18 g pro, 46 g carb, 8 g fiber, 6 g fat, 2 g sat fat, 526 mg sodium
MORE:9 Ridiculously Tasty Mac & Cheese Recipes
PREP TIME:10 minutes /TOTAL TIME:30 minutes /SERVINGS:6
6 shallots, unpeeled
1 can (13.5 oz) light coconut milk
2 c reduced-sodium chicken broth
1½ lbs butternut squash, peeled and cut into ½" cubes
½ c packed fresh cilantro + 1 Tbsp chopped, for garnish
½ tsp salt
2 Tbsp fish sauce
¼ c minced scallions, green parts only
Ground black pepper
1. PREHEATthe broiler.
2. SPRAYa sheet of heavy foil with cooking spray and place the shallots on top. When the broiler is ready, broil the shallots, turning occasionally, for about 5 to 7 minutes, or until softened and blackened. Remove from the broiler, let cool, then peel and halve them lengthwise.
3. COMBINEthe shallots, coconut milk, broth, squash, and the ½ cup of cilantro. Cook just until the mixture begins to boil.
4. REDUCEthe heat, add the salt, and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the squash is tender.
5. STIRin the fish sauce and cook for 2 to 3 minutes longer. Garnish each serving with a sprinkling of the minced scallion greens and the chopped cilantro and season with pepper to taste.
NUTRITION(per serving) 148 cal, 6 g pro, 25 g carb, 2 g fiber, 4.2 g fat, 3.4 g sat fat, 699 mg sodium
MORE:8 Foods Proven To Give Your Libido A Happy Boost
PREP TIME:15 minutes /TOTAL TIME:43 minutes /SERVINGS:4
1 sm butternut squash, cut into 1" cubes
1 c pearl onions
4 skinless, bone in chicken breast halves
¼ c chopped fresh tarragon
2 tsp olive oil
1½ c chicken broth
1 Tbsp cornstarch
2 c seedless red grapes
1. PLACEthe squash cubes on a microwaveable plate, and sprinkle them with water. Microwave on high for 4 minutes.
2. DROPthe onions in boiling water. Cook them for 3 minutes. Drain, then immerse the onions in cold water. Cut the root end of each onion, and squeeze gently to remove the outer skin.
3. SPRINKLEboth sides of the chicken breasts with salt and pepper, and rub with the tarragon.
4. HEATthe oil in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the chicken, and saute for 3 minutes per side, until golden brown. Add the squash, onions, and 1 cup of the broth, and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium, cover, and cook for 15 minutes.
5. REMOVEthe chicken and vegetables from the pot using a slotted spoon, and transfer them to a serving platter, reserving the liquid in the pot.
6. DISSOLVEthe cornstarch in the remaining ½ cup chicken broth. Add the mixture to the remaining liquid in the pot, add the grapes, and simmer for a minute, until the liquid thickens.
7. POURthe sauce over the chicken and vegetables, and serve immediately.
NUTRITION(per serving) 301 cal, 31 g pro, 36 g carb, 3 g fiber, 4.5 g fat, 0.9 g sat fat, 264 mg sodium
MORE:20 Not-Boring Chicken Dinners
PREP TIME:15 minutes /TOTAL TIME:1 hour, 10 minutes /SERVINGS:4
¾ lb precut butternut squash cubes (¾") or ½ med butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed (2 c)
1 lg red bell pepper, cut into ¾" pieces
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme or ½ tsp dried thyme
½ tsp salt, divided
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper, divided
2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
2 tsp honey
¼ sm red onion, chopped, about ¼ c
4 c loosely packed baby spinach, 4 oz
1 sm Gala or Golden Delicious apple, cored and thinly sliced
1 c thinly sliced radicchio
½ c unsalted sunflower seed kernels
1. PREHEAToven to 425°F.
2. COATrimmed baking sheet with olive oil spray. Toss squash and bell pepper with 2 teaspoons of the oil, thyme, ¼ teaspoon of the salt, and ⅛ teaspoon of the black pepper in medium bowl.
3. ARRANGEin single layer on prepared baking sheet. Roast 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, until tender and lightly browned. Let cool 10 minutes.
4. WHISKlemon juice, honey, and remaining 4 teaspoons oil, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ⅛ teaspoon black pepper in large salad bowl while squash roasts. Stir in onion. Add spinach, apple, radicchio, sunflower seeds, and squash mixture and toss to combine.
NUTRITION(per serving) 244 cal, 5 g pro, 26 g carb, 7 g fiber, 15.3 g fat, 1.9 g sat fat, 337 mg sodium
MORE:7 Fall Salads We're A Little Obsessed With
PREP TIME:15 minutes /TOTAL TIME:1 hour, 15 minutes /SERVINGS:4
1 sm butternut squash (2 lb), halved lengthwise and seeds removed
1 lg red onion, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp olive oil
5 c baby spinach leaves
1 lb fresh whole wheat pizza dough, at room temperature
4 oz fontina, grated (1 c)
2 Tbsp pine nuts, toasted
1. HEAToven to 400°F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Put squash flesh side down on prepared pan and roast 30 minutes. Turn flesh side up and roast until very tender, 25 minutes. When cooled, scrape flesh into bowl and mash.
2. PLACEpizza stone on rack in center of oven and increase heat to 550°F.
3. COOKonion in oil in large skillet over medium-low heat, stirring, until lightly browned, 20 minutes. Transfer to bowl. Increase heat to medium and coat skillet with cooking spray. Add spinach and cook, stirring, until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes.
4. FLOURdough lightly and roll into a 12" circle, ⅛ to ¼ thick, on a piece of parchment. Spread about 1½ cups of the squash over dough. Top with onion and spinach. Slide parchment and pizza onto baking sheet and transfer to oven, sliding parchment directly onto pizza stone. Bake until bottom is golden, 7 minutes. Top with cheese and nuts. Bake until cheese melts, 1 minute. Cut into 8 slices.
Video: BUTTERNUT SQUASH STRUDEL recipe | Bundevara!
Top 60 Best Outdoor Patio Ideas – Backyard Lounge Designs
Why You Shouldn’t Get A Tattoo – Disadvantages And Things To Consider First
How to Practice Darkness Meditation
Village Makers’ innovative neighbourhood design could help combat loneliness in the community
How to Body Build During College
How to Take Care of a Russian Tortoise
Good News, This Dating App Just Solved Your Ghosting Problem
Hairstyles and Haircuts for Long Faces
How to Attain Effortless Beauty
Your Heart: Women Meds
Starbucks Is Now Serving Granita—Heres How to Make Your Own Thats Better